Daria's Rantings - Mogwai

 *I am posting this sixth ranting as my alter-ego the misanthropic Daria Morgendorffer

Do you remember Mogwai? No, not the Scottish post-rock band but the cute, furry creature in the film 'Gremlins' starring the lovely Phoebe Cates? In the film, the owner of Mogwai must:
1. never expose it to bright light (especially sunlight, which will kill it)
2. never get it wet
3. most importantly, no matter how much it cries or begs, never, ever feed it after midnight
... lest Mogwai would hatch into "gremlins" or more mischievous reptilian monsters. Quel horreur!
Oh how I was deceived by a sweet and innocent-looking Mogwai. At the request of her parents, I helped the soft-spoken, gentle, doe-eyed Mogwai. I even braved the thunderstorm and flash flood to meet the young Mogwai to render assistance. I was genuinely concerned about her situation. I even asked another friend to help her. All these despite Mogwai's father didn't help me when I asked him for help the year before.

I heard nothing from Mogwai, though we had on occasions communicated via email. I thought Mogwai would at least update me. Many moons later, I heard (from other people) that Mogwai had emerged victorious. Though Mogwai didn't thank me personally for whatever little advice I had given her, I was really happy for her good fortune.

Some time had passed... I met Mogwai at an event held by an organisation that I helped set up. Someone introduced me to Mogwai (who was working at the organisation) who to my surprise, acted as if that was the first time she had met or heard of me. 
Staff: Is that your first time meeting Mogwai? When we spoke about you, she didn't seem to know you...
Me: What?!

I am no Phoebe Cates but at least I bother to appreciate the people who had helped me during my times of need. Mogwai, didn't your parents teach you any manners?
I recently found out that Mogwai means "evil spirit" or "devil" in Cantonese. I wonder, just how many cute Mogwai(s), which would change into nasty Gremlins especially when they are thrusted into the limelight or fed (with praises), are there in this world?

Comments

Popular Posts