Daria's Rantings - Elvira

*I am posting this first ranting as my alter-ego the misanthropic Daria Morgendorffer

What's wrong with some so-called smart people? Let's call the first one Elvira (EL)
EL skyped me for the first time on the pretence of asking me how I was doing.

EL: ...your Gedung Kuning book is not good. Even my friends said it's not academic enough...

Me: Oh, it's not meant for the academic audience. It's for everyone to enjoy.

EL: Still, it lacks the academic component.

Me: What do you mean? Just because it's deliberately written simply, doesn't mean it lacks academic references. And who are your friends who said this?

EL: I can't tell you but they have published MANY academic papers.

Me: Really? They said this? And you? Have you read my book?

EL: No, I haven't. I have other important books to read like Foucault and Bourdieu... Have you read their books?

Me: No, I haven't. Maybe I am stupid.



I hung up feeling appalled. Oh my God! You called me just to criticise me? I can accept criticisms about my work but how can you criticise the book that you haven't read? 

Oh EL, ugliness is forgivable but meanness is not. You may drop big names and great university affiliations. But no one is impressed if you're mean and like to belittle others. By the way, no amount of make-up can hide ugliness. You're no Pocahontas.


ps. Even if you look this hot a Pocahontas, you would still be 'ugly' in my eyes.

Comments

Popular Posts