K is for Kaduk

Human beings are such funny creatures. One day, they are begging you to help them. The next day, they discard you once they have achieved their goals (with your help no doubt). Then another day, they maliciously slander you as they perceived you to be stealing their limelight. Amazing!

A series of events had left me utterly disappointed in such creatures, especially one whose name is K. From an unknown, K knew many people who helped her because of my network. K became popular. People praised K for her work. Then I suggested another brilliant project (the first project went very well, many people knew about our mission). K said, "Let's do it." So I wrote the concept paper and proposal for funding. Then K said, "You should head this" (which I did) and worked on it with B and E. When I suggested an alternative person to take over E as E said she couldn't do her tasks, K burst in a rage and insisted that there was a conflict of interest blah, blah, blah. How could this be when I did the project (and the first one) for her free? So, I let her be. I mean, why fight with people who are insane, right? And the others just cowered under her madness. No one dared to speak up against the malicious treatment because she insisted, "I've already apologised to her. See, I'm nice" and "Don't blame me. I have transference issues, she reminded me of my secondary school prefect whom I hated."

Recently, I saw her name splashed on the very project whose idea and initial groundwork came from me. Praises flowed in. You are superb, K! What a wonderful project! Yet, there is no mention of me. All K said, "I can't work with her. But we can still be friends." No, K. We are NOT friends anymore.


My late grandmother once advised me to stay away from such dishonourable creatures. And this I will. But not without penning my thoughts in a short story (The Story of K) and haiku (The Madness of K). Let's not forget the Malay proverb, "As clever as the squirrel hops, it will one day fall to the ground."



Comments

Popular Posts