Walking beside Giants

 *

Google Scholar’s ‘Stand on the shoulders of giants’ got me thinking. Why should I stand on the shoulders of giants? Would it not be better if I walk beside them?
I remember when I was at a Fulbright Enrichment Seminar in San Francisco last year. We were given an information flyer of 36 Nobel Prize winners. I thought, so little Nobel Laureates? Then I realised that they were also Fulbright Alumni! In fact, the Fulbright program has more Nobel Laureates than any other scholarship programme of its kind :)

As I aspire to walk beside giants like Nobel Laureate Prof Muhammad Yunus (Grameen Bank) famous for his successful application of microcredit (the extension of small loans given to entrepreneurs too poor to qualify for traditional bank loans), I must take small steps first. Setting up my Gedung Kuning Foundation and the Fatimah Jofrie Free Clinic will not happen so soon. So why not start with what I can afford now. Since I had given some sort of a grant to a friend for his masters in 2006, why not continue to do that with other students? Yes, the Hidayah Amin Scholarship is now 'unofficially’ launched. The scholarship is to help students pursue their studies and achieve their aspirations despite facing financial constraints. Although the fund is still small now but God willing, it will grow and benefit more students in the future.

*my "giants"

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yipee! Niat sudah digerakkan. InsyaAllah, jalan akan menjadi lebih luas.

Kalaulah kakak yang miskin ini kaya, alangkah baiknya jika dapat beri sumbangan juga.

Marilah kita berdoa!

\(*_*)/
Wavecritter said…
"As I aspire to walk beside giants" From what I see, you deserve to walk beside the giants...You are brilliant! Thank you...
Stephanie Haile Google Me

Popular Posts