Wicked

Seated on the 8th row from the front at Gershwin Theatre (on Broadway) last night, I was spellbound by Wicked. It was wickedly amazing! True to the producer that I am, I analysed the musical from all production aspects. *lol...

I have been fortunate to see musicals in Singapore and London but none has touched my heart than the plot of Wicked. Wicked explores the concept that Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West was a misunderstood and victimized person whose behavior was merely a reaction against a charlatan wizard's corrupt government. It also shows her relationship with the beautiful and ambitious Galinda, who ultimately becomes Glinda the Good Witch of the North. Through the show their friendship struggles to endure extreme personality conflicts, opposing viewpoints, rivalry over the same love-interest, and Elphaba's eventual fall from grace.

Among others, the musical explores themes ranging from stereotypes to politics to love to human characters. Indeed, we have to look at things from different perspectives...
"Maybe I'm brainless
Maybe I'm wise
But you've got me seeing
Through different eyes..."

Comments

Popular Posts