Ellis Island

    
I visited Ellis Island last Saturday. Ellis Island was the gateway to liberty for 16 million immigrants. Almost half of the the current population of the United States is directly related to immigrants who passed through what was the principal immigrant receiving station from 1892 to 1954.

Give me your tired, your poor
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, the tempest-lost to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
- Emma Lazarus, 1883


I also found out that in May 1982, President Ronald Reagan appointed Iacocca (an alumni of Lehigh University) to head the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, which was created to raise funds for the renovation and preservation of the Statue of Liberty. I'm very impressed with the restoration and research done at the museum in Ellis Island, more impressed with Iacocca's leadership. Lehigh University must have made him what he is today! :)

Comments

Popular Posts